The AUA School of Public Health (SPH) participated in a series of international scientific conferences in 2013. “By participating in these conferences, the SPH faculty and researchers share our experience with international colleagues and demonstrate our research and educational capacity,” said Dr. Robert Bagramian, Dean of the AUA SPH. “These conferences promote international recognition of AUA in public health and health services research through collaboration with colleagues from various parts of the world.”
Dr. Vahe Khachadourian, Research Associate, Center for Health Services Research and Development (CHSR), AUA SPH, presented a research paper on posttraumatic stress disorder, alcohol and dignity as determinants of poor short-term memory among the 1988 Armenian earthquake survivors during the World Psychiatric Association Thematic Conference on Mental Health and Mental Illness: Focusing on Eurasia. The conference was held in Yerevan, Armenia in August 2013.
Drs. Ruzanna Grigoryan, Nune Truzyan, both Project Coordinators/Research Associates, AUA SPH, and Dr. Khachadourian received competitive full scholarships to participate and present at the 13th Health Impact Assessment International Conference in Geneva, Switzerland in October 2013. They presented the following projects: Determinants of recovery from post-earthquake psychopathology: a 23 year longitudinal study; Health impact of family-based training in homes with tuberculosis patients in Armenia; and Health Impact of the National Child Health State Certificate Program in Armenia.
In October 2013, Dr. Varduhi Petrosyan received a partial International Scholarship to attend and present at the 35th Annual meeting of the Society for Medical Decision Making (SMDM) in Baltimore, Maryland, USA. The conference theme focused on Medical Decision Making and Public Policy. Dr. Petrosyan presented her research on how decision making can influence diabetes care in Armenia.
In November 2013, Dr. Anahit Demirchyan, Senior Research Specialist, Drs. Arusyak Harutyunyan, Ruzanna Grigoryan, both Project Coordinators/ Research Associates, and Dr. Khachadourian received competitive scholarships to attend the 6th European Public Health Conference in Brussels, Belgium and present several SPH projects including:
• Nested case-control study of predictors of postpartum depression in a long-term cohort of earthquake survivors, Armenia, 1990-2012
• Interbirth interval and history of previous preeclampsia among multiparous women: a case-control study
• Risk factors for developing drug-resistant tuberculosis from regular tuberculosis in Armenia: a case-control study
• Loss and psycho-social factors as determinants of quality of life among survivors of the 1988 Armenian earthquake, a 23-year follow-up study
• Making hospitals smoke-free: a demonstration project in Armenia
• The prevalence of and major risk factors associated with diabetic retinopathy in Gegharkunik region of Armenia
• Patients’ knowledge about coronary artery disease risk factors after coronary artery bypass surgery and adherence to medication and lifestyle in Armenia.
Overall, the faculty and researchers of the AUA School of Public Health made 12 presentations in different international scientific conferences worldwide in 2013.
The AUA School of Public Health works actively to improve the health of the populace and health services in Armenia and the region through interdisciplinary education and development of public health professionals and others to be leaders in public health, health services research and evaluation, and health care delivery and management.
Drs. Anahit Demirchyan, Ruzanna Grigoryan, Arusyak
Harutyunyan, and Vahe Khachadourian
Drs. Nune Truzyan, Ruzanna Grigoryan, and Vahe