The American University of Armenia School of Public Health’s (AUA SPH) Center for Health Services Research and Development (CHSR) presented its work at the 9th European Public Health Conference in Vienna, Austria, November 9-12, 2016 and the 47th Union World Conference on Lung Health in Liverpool, the UK, October 26-29, 2016.
The European Public Health Conference brought together 1,800 professionals from around 70 countries under the theme “All for Health, Health for All” to contribute to the improvement of public health in Europe.
Six researchers from CHSR received competitive full and partial scholarships to attend the conference. Lusine Musheghyan (AUA MPH 2013) received Gulbenkian Scholarship (Short Term Conference and Travel Grants) and Anahit Demirchyan (AUA MPH 1999) received AUA Professional Development Grant; the others received partial scholarships from the conference organizers.
The following research findings were presented at the conference:
- “A Nationwide Assessment of Nursing Education in Armenia” presented by Sahakyan Serine (AUA MPH 2015), Akopyan Kristina (AUA MPH 2013), Petrosyan Varduhi, Nazarians Karine (AUA MPH 2015), and White Kathleen
- “Nursing practice in Armenia: a nationwide qualitative assessment 2016” presented by Akopyan Kristina, Sahakyan Serine, and Petrosyan Varduhi
- “Knowledge, Attitude and Practice towards Smoking Cessation in Armenia” presented by Abrahamyan Armine (AUA MPH 2015), Harutyunyan Arusyak (AUA MPH 2009), and Petrosyan Varduhi
- “Smoking Cessation Pharmacotherapy Products in Armenia” presented by Harutyunyan Arusyak, Abrahamyan Armine, and Petrosyan Varduhi
- “Vision related quality of life among adult population living in Nagorno Karabagh” presented by Giloyan Aida (AUA MPH 2007), Harutyunyan Tsovinar (AUA MPH 1999), and Petrosyan Varduhi.
- “Prospective study of predictors of long-term mortality among Spitak earthquake survivors in Armenia” presented by Demirchyan Anahit, Armenian Haroutune K., Khachadourian Vahe (AUA MPH 2011), Goenjian Armen K., and Petrosyan Varduhi
Lusine Musheghyan and Serine Sahakyan presented parts of their MPH thesis projects:
- “Healthcare quality and patient safety in the Intensive care units of Yerevan hospitals” presented by Musheghyan Lusine and Kagan Sarah H.
- “Risk Factors of Mortality in Pulmonary TB Patients in Yerevan, Armenia” presented by Sahakyan Serine, Petrosyan Varduhi, and Abrahamyan Lusine (AUA MPH 2003)
The abstracts were published in the European Journal of Public Health (2016 November) Volume 26, Supplement 1.
The Union World Conference on Lung Health brought together 3,000 professionals from 126 countries under the theme “Confronting Resistance: Fundamentals to Innovations” to address the growing problem of resistance to TB drugs – one of the most important challenges facing TB control.
Serine Sahakyan, a Research Assistant from CHSR, received Gulbenkian Scholarship (Short Term Conference and Travel Grants) to attend this conference and present part of her MPH thesis project:
- “The Influence of Diabetes Mellitus on Treatment Outcome of Patients with Pulmonary Tuberculosis” presented by Sahakyan Serine (AUA MPH 2015), Petrosyan Varduhi, and Abrahamyan Lusine (AUA MPH 2003)
The abstract was published in the International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease (2016 November) Volume 20, Number 11, Supplement 1.
Participation in the European Public Health Conference and World Conference on Lung Health is an important step towards promoting international recognition of AUA’s innovative research on Tuberculosis, Tobacco Control, Preventive Ophthalmology, Mental Health, and Quality of Care.
The AUA School of Public Health works actively to improve population health and health services in Armenia and the region through interdisciplinary education and development of public health professionals to be leaders in public health, health services research and evaluation, and health care delivery and management.