Garo Meghrigian Institute for Preventive Ophthalmology
In 1999, Mr. Garo Meghrigian of Los Angeles funded a Blindness Prevention Program in Armenia in memory of his daughter, Christine Hripsime. The Garo Meghrigian Institute for preventive Ophthalmology (Meghrigian Institute) was established within the Center for Health Services Research and Development (CHSR) of School of Public Health of the American University of Armenia (AUA) to implement this vision.
MISSION: Prevent Avoidable Blindness In Armenia
OBJECTIVES: Conduct scientific investigations of ophthalmic epidemiology to increase understanding of eye disease in the community
- Link ophthalmologic services with expertise in organizing, financing and delivery of services to increase the utilization of ophthalmologic care in Armenia
- Educate eye care providers and the general public on scientific advances in detecting, preventing, and treating eye disease and in translating these advances into nationwide clinical practice
- Establish an ophthalmic care and prevention network to expand service delivery to under-served populations in need of affordable, accessible, and high quality eye care services for prevention and treatment of blindness at all levels
- Develop partnerships with organizations that are interested in blindness prevention and are capable of furthering the achievements of Meghrigian Institute’s goal
- Train the future professionals for blindness prevention activities in Armenia
- Establish a regional blindness prevention network for the Caucasus, emphasizing undeserved areas and minority populations.